Josh Turknett, MD
FOUNDER, Brainjo Center for Neurology & Cognitive Enhancement
Joshua Turknett, M.D., is a board-certified neurologist, and has practiced in the Atlanta area for over a decade.
He has conducted clinical research in the areas of stroke, Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia, migraine, epilepsy, neuropathy, and Parkinson’s disease.
He is also a musician, author of the bestselling book The Migraine Miracle, and the upcoming book Intelligence Unshackled: Modern Neuroscience and the Potential of Human & Organizational Intelligence.
B.A. Neuroscience, Wesleyan University
M.D., Emory University
Neurology Residency, Shands Hospital (UF)
THE MIGRAINE MIRACLE
In 2012, Dr. Turknett published The Migraine Miracle, a book that outlines how to apply an ancestral diet and lifestyle to end chronic migraine headaches – an area with which he has both personal and professional experience.
The book has become an Amazon bestseller, and more importantly, combined with a growing online support community, has transformed the lives of thousands throughout the world in ways that are impossible inside of the traditional medical clinic.
Using a similar comprehensive, root cause approach to health and disease, Dr. Turknett believes that the same kind of transformation is possible for those at risk for and suffering with Alzheimer’s and other diseases of cognition, which was the primary motivation for developing the Brain Protection Program.
RELATED LINKS for The Migraine Miracle:
- The book: The Migraine Miracle
- The website: mymigrainemiracle.com
- The Miracle Moment, a recurring podcast hosted by Dr. Turknett
- Success stories of lives transformed
THE BRAINJO METHOD for MUSIC
In 2014, Dr. Turknett, who is also a musician, founded Brainjo to provide an online course of musical instruction that incorporates the science of learning and neuroplasticity.
Central to the course is the Brainjo Method, a first principles based framework for optimized learning, currently applied to and refined in the domain of musical skill acquisition. The system has been used by thousands of individuals of all ages, throughout the world, to learn to play music, many for the first time in their lives.
Fundamentally, Brainjo is about applying our constantly understanding of the health and function of the brain to develop and realize human potential in all forms, which is the primary mission of the Brainjo Center for Neurology & Cognitive Enhancement.
RELATED LINKS for The Brainjo Method for Musical Instruction:
- The Laws of Brainjo: The Art & Science of Effective Practice. A monthly series on how to apply principles of learning and neuroplasticity to musical practice.
- The Brainjo Origin Story: Read the story of how Brainjo came to be in this interview in the Banjo Newsletter.
- Learn to play the banjo using the Brainjo Method at clawhammerbanjo.net and fingerstylebanjo.com.
- Learn to play the fiddle using the Brainjo Method at oldtimefiddle.net.
- Dr. Turknett’s YouTube channel (WARNING: contains an egregious amount of banjo videos)
Dr. Turknett is a frequent speaker, and has appeared on multiple podcasts and radio broadcasts. Areas of subject matter expertise he has presented on include:
- Alzheimer’s Disease & Vascular Dementia
- Parkinson’s disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Ancestral Health
- Accelerated Learning
- Music Instruction
- Human Potential
- Motor Skill Learning
SELECTED PRESENTATIONS & INTERVIEWS
- PHYSICIANS for ANCESTRAL HEALTH podcast interview: “From Migraine Miracles to Molding Musical Minds.”
- Feature story in the ATLANTA BUSINESS CHRONICLE: “Roswell Musician Harnesses Clients’ Brainpower“
- The BECOMING SUPERHUMAN podcast with Johnathan Levi on optimizing the brain’s ability to learn music.
- Presentation at the ANCESTRAL HEALTH SYMPOSIUM on “Migraines as the Hypothalamic Distress Signal”
- DISRUPT HR Presentation on “Unshackling Intelligence: The Extraordinary Capacity of the ‘Ordinary’ Human Brain“
- Feature story in the Banjo Newsletter on the story behind Brainjo: “Interview with Josh Turknett”
TOMMY WOOD, MD, Ph.D
CONSULTANT, Brainjo Center for Neurology & Cognitive Enhancement
Dr. Tommy Wood is a UK trained medical doctor with a PhD in physiology and neuroscience. His areas of published research include neonatal brain injury, adult neurodegenerative and metabolic diseases, as well as nutritional approaches to sports performance.
He received his undergraduate degree in biochemistry from the University of Cambridge before attending medical school at the University of Oxford.
He currently serves as Chief Scientific Officer of Nourish Balance Thrive, a company that uses advanced biochemical testing to optimise performance in athletes, from weekend warriors to Olympians and world champions. He is President of the Physicians for Ancestral Health society, and on the scientific advisory board of Hintsa Performance, which includes developing nutrition and lifestyle strategies for F1 drivers.
B.A., Natural Sciences & Biochemistry, Univ. of Cambridge
M.D., Univ. of Oxford
Ph.D., Univ. of Oslo
Post-doc., perinatal brain injury, Univ. of Washington
Dr. Wood is a frequent invited speaker and podcast guest on a wide range of subjects, including neuroscience, ancestral health, advanced lab testing, nutrition and biochemistry, elite performance coaching and health optimization.
Drs. Wood and Turknett are also co-hosts of the Physicians for Ancestral Health podcast.